Monday, January 16, 2012

Best of Twitter by @growingupcofc


I joined Twitter in September and have since come to realize that I tweet like a middle-aged government employee.  I cannot change this about myself.  I yam what I yam.

One thing has surprised me about Twitter, though.  I like it—or maybe a better way of putting it—I’m strangely fascinated by it.  People say the darndest things, and I think it’s mostly because they don’t believe anyone’s paying attention.  Like these tiny messages are being projected out into cyberspace and then slowly evaporating into outer space.  There’s a freedom in Twitter.  A freedom to say exactly what’s on one’s mind, without thinking much about it.  Where else can you do that?  Okay, prayer or with a super-duper-close friend, but where else? 

So here are a few of my favorite people.  Check them out, if you like.  Or not.  I’m guessing they won’t mind too much one way or another.



Al Yankovic@alyankovic … You know... the Eat It guy.

Weird Al has won three Grammy Awards.  Three.  I’m not kidding.  My personal favorite Weird Al song is White & Nerdy (2006).  LOL is way overused … but Al is truly LOL-funny.  Here are a couple of samples:
“I personally know a lot of nerds, and I’ve NEVER seen one with tape on the bridge of their glasses. #NoteToHollywood
 “72 Days is now an official unit of time known as a Kardash.”

Gary Haugen@garyhaugen … President & CEO of International Justice Mission.

If you haven’t checked out this charity … you should check it out.  Now!  www.ijm.org

Gary spoke at our church a few years ago.  The word “inspiring” is an understatement.  Two tweets from GH:
I wrote 2,084 on a whiteboard at HQ today- the # of individuals (w/ names) IJM has rescued from violent abuse so far this year.”
“Amount Americans spend on Halloween costumes for their PETS ($300 million) equals national budget of Burundi. Just sayin.”

Rick Atchley@RickAtchley … Wanting to be better husband, father, preacher, and golfer.

I may be the only person I know who’s never heard Rick Atchley speak.  I can tell you, he’s got so many good tweets; it’s difficult to choose the best.  They are mostly funny …
“On Halloween … You would think these little kids coming to my door would be more grateful for the classic sermon tapes I am handing out.”
“Four stages of a man: 1) you believe in Santa, 2) you don't believe in Santa, 3) you are Santa, 4) you look like Santa.”
And yet, sometimes poignant …
“God will never haunt you with the memory of a sin He has forgiven.”
“I need to remember that the Bible says to mourn with those who mourn. It doesn't say to fix them.”

George Stuart Benson@drgeorgebenson … President, Harding College (1936-1965).

A spoof account (obviously).  Funny and sometimes a little irreverent.  Buckle your seatbelt:

“RT @ouachita: International Awareness Chapel //I'll have 500 Harding College students in Zambia before your closing prayer. #chapeltweet”

“I'm normally an optimist but whenever I lose a follower on Twitter, I assume they've either died or become a communist.”

Rachel Held Evans@rachelheldevans … living, learning, writing, and evolving in Monkey Town.

I haven’t read her book (yet), but I like her ‘tude:
Dear Haters, Thanks for motivating me to work harder, for teaching me to seek true peace, and for weaning me off my addiction to approval.”

Desmond Tutu Peace Center@ThePeaceCentre … The Desmond Tutu Peace Centre -Creating a home for sustainable peace.

How can you not like Desmond Tutu (a Nobel Peace Prize awardee)?  One of the world's good guys:
How can we create a culture of peace? #tutu: ‘Let women take over!’”

Well said Brother Tutu.

***

Now how about u?  What do u say?

2 comments:

  1. Last year I posted the favorite tweets I'd read. The top of the list was from Max Lucado.

    Max Lucado
    Here is an idea. Assume it's going to work out for the best. Isn't Romans 8:28 still in the Bible?

    here's the rest
    http://outofthedepths.blogspot.com/2010/05/some-of-my-favorite-tweets.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! And 8, 11, 17, and 20 as well. :)

      Delete